The value of the month for January is Determination.
What is determination?
Determination is to keep on trying and never giving up. It is setting goals and working towards them whilst realising it is fine to make mistakes.
As a school we want our pupils to understand that mistakes are often part of the journey to success and that we have to work hard to succeed.
Are you determined?
- Don’t give up on their goals no matter how tough things get.
- Don’t worry about making mistakes and understand that mistakes are part of the journey to success.
- Are not afraid to work hard to succeed.
- Don’t work hard to impress others, but to impress themselves instead!
Can you try to be more determined?
- Don’t worry about what you haven’t achieved, instead look at what you have achieved so far.
- Try to be patient and kind to yourself.
- Your words have power. Don’t waste time complaining, be positive.
- E.g. Don’t say “I can’t do it!”
- Instead try, “I can’t do it YET, but I will!”
Determination Ideas for Home
- Talk about determination. What are you determined to do this year?
- What can you do to help yourself when things get tough?
- Who do you know who has shown determination? What have they achieved?
- Make a collection of people or stories who have shown great determination. They will become your inspiration!
- Try a puzzle and don’t give up!
- Set yourself a challenge and don’t moan. Stick to your commitment.